Home Sport England Fan Ban for throwing a chair in ugly clashes before Marseille...

England Fan Ban for throwing a chair in ugly clashes before Marseille match


An England fan named Daniel Warlow admitted he was involved in violent clashes ahead of England’s opening match against Russia in Marseille on Saturday which dominated coverage of the tournament.

The 24-year-old, from Tipton, was caught by chance by police ‘spotter’ PC Colin Barlow, who was browsing a Sky News article while on duty at Birmingham Airport.

Also, Paul Jackson, from Halifax, Alexander Booth and Ian Hepworth and were among the first fans to be dealt with after the widespread trouble in the French port city, which left another fan with severe head injuries and Euro 2016 organizer Uefa threatening to ban England and Russia if there is any repeat.

This afternoon UEFA handed Russia a suspended ban and a 150,000 euro fine for disturbances within the Marseille ground at the end of the match against England on Saturday.

Jackson, 21, was jailed for a month and banned for two years for throwing bottles at police and supporters on Saturday.

Booth, 20, from Huddersfield, was jailed for two months for throwing a bottle at police and banned from France for two years.

Hepworth, 41, a psychiatric nurse from Sheffield, was given a three month sentence for the same offence and the same ban.

Reacting to the sentence, Booth’s father Chris, who was later seen in tears, said “I’ll fight it” and “miscarriage”.

Booth, still wearing his England shirt, he said it may have looked like it was aimed for the police but it was not.

He said: “I have never had problems with the police, I respect the police very much. I am hard working.”

According to court papers, it was Booth’s 20th birthday on Sunday.

The prosecutor asked the judge to jail him for two months as that would mean the tournament would have finished by the time he was released.

Booth said: “I would like to say sorry to the police and to the people and city of Marseille. This is not like me; I’m not a violent person.

“I love my job and my family, I’ve never been involved in football hooliganism. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time”.

Hepworth claimed he could not remember what had happened.

The prosecutor asked for him to be jailed for three months, saying he knew what he was doing because he ran away afterwards.

The injured England fan, Andrew Bache, 50, from Portsmouth, was in a critical condition in a French hospital after being beaten round the head by Russians armed with iron bars.

Russian fans also charged at England supporters in the Stade Velodrome after the two teams drew 1-1 on Saturday night.